Partitions number limitation ?

From: s(dot)caillet(at)free(dot)fr
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Partitions number limitation ?
Date: 2008-09-03 10:00:22
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi !

To improve our software insert datas performance, we have decided to use
partition architecture in our database. It works well for the following volume :
45 main tables and 288 inherited daughter tables for each, that is a total of
12960 partitions.

I have some trouble now with another customer's database with the following
volume : 87 main tables and 288 tables for each, that is 25056 partitions.

Is there some kind of limit in postgresql about the number of partitions ? Do
you know some tuning in the conf files to improve postgresql management of so
many tables ? I have already used different tablespaces, one for each main table
and its 288 partitions.

I have many datas to insert into these tables (that is ten or hundred of
thousands every five minutes for each main group). Do you think it can be done
with a hardware raid 0 SATA disk (it's the case today ...) ?

Thank you all for help.

Best regards

Sylvain Caillet

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Nikolas EverettDate: 2008-09-03 16:03:45