Re: pg_restore speed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Colton A Smith <smith(at)cs(dot)utk(dot)edu>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore speed
Date: 2007-01-25 00:24:24
Lists: pgsql-admin
> Colton A Smith wrote:
>> I have a 90G postgis-enabled postgresql
>> database that I'm upgrading from 8.1.5 to
>> 8.2.1.  I initiated pg_restore nearly
>> six days ago and it's still churning away,
>> surely but slowly.  Is this amount of
>> time normal? Or have I done something
>> wrong?

> 6 days seems like an awful long time I could see 12-15 hours. What type
> of machine do you have? What was the pg_dump command you used and
> respective pg_restore?

What is the restore actually doing at the moment?  (Look in
pg_stat_activity)

For such a large DB I'd think you'd really need to increase
shared_buffers, checkpoint_segments, and maintenance_work_mem well
beyond their default values ... did you do that before starting to
restore?  (Actually I think you could probably do the latter two
on-the-fly without disturbing the restore, so that might be something
to try before giving up and starting over.)