Re: LIKE predicate and ERROR: 42P22: could not determine which collation to use for string comparison - HINT: Use the COLLATE clause ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Lumby <johnlumby(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LIKE predicate and ERROR: 42P22: could not determine which collation to use for string comparison - HINT: Use the COLLATE clause ...
Date: 2011-12-12 21:38:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs
John Lumby <johnlumby(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> Sorry about that, here is a script to demonstrate using a much simpler example.
> It presumes linux and that there is a bash shell at /bin/bash.

> You should see table created and loaded (takes a few minutes), then successful query explain and run,
> then create index and re-run the explain (now uses index) and query (now fails)

Hmm ... I tried this script on both HEAD and 9.1, and see no failure.
Possibly it requires some non-default configuration setting to show
the problem?  Also, are you certain your database is ending up with
LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE set to "C"?  I am not sure that createdb pays
attention to those as locale settings.