Re: Adding WHERE clause to pg_dump

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding WHERE clause to pg_dump
Date: 2008-07-26 14:22:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 09:08 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> So, IMNSHO, making a full database backup is still pg_dump's principal
> function.

Making copies for development databases is also a common use case, and
if not more common than backups, at least not far behind. This was my
stated use case.

>From my perspective, this should be fairly simple
* do we agree the use case is a problem we care about?
* do we agree the proposal would help that use case?
* whats the best way to package that feature?

If we wish to protect pg_dump's role, then lets have another utility or
some packaging that can be used for its other hidden roles. That sounds
like we might all agree on that. pg_dev_dump? How should it look?