Re: VARCHAR -vs- CHAR: huge performance difference?

From: "C(dot) Bensend" <benny(at)bennyvision(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VARCHAR -vs- CHAR: huge performance difference?
Date: 2004-06-17 14:58:52
Lists: pgsql-admin
> By the way, be carefull. The pg_autovacuum is not good enough for being
> using as the only way for cleaning the database, especially if you have a
> lot of update and delete on the same tables.

For right now, I'm just vacuuming more often to see how things go.  I
didn't think I was even generating enough transactions for it to be a
problem, but a 'vacuum full' made a night-and-day difference.

If it continues to be problematic, I'll probably look at an upgrade.

Benny

--
"Oh, the Jedis are going to feel this one!"       -- Professor Farnsworth,
                                                     "Futurama"