Re: pg_autovacuum does not start on system startup - 8.0 Release -

From: "Harald Massa" <ghum(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum does not start on system startup - 8.0 Release -
Date: 2005-01-24 10:45:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Dave,

> > As said... I can start that service manually after Windows
> > starts talking to
> > me. What can I do to make it run properly?
>
> Hmm, I'll have to think about the best way to do that.

My impression is that Service-startup is rather nondeterministic in aspects
of timing.

So I would suggest to integrate that sleepy workaround within pg_autovacuum
service. Just let it sleep for 'some time' ... maybe even configurable ...
before it connects. (recommended default: 180 seconds; NOT microseconds and
NOT milliseconds :))

That will not harm anything: on system-startup there is running a lot of
rubbish anyway, so it does really not hurt if the first vacuum-run is 3
minutes later (on a usual system starting up it will take 3 minutes anyway
before scheduling time-slices for vacuum is really sensible)

And really intensly productive servers should not boot anyway. So: nobody
gets hurt, and pg_usleep is very well tested.

Harald