Re: Number of postgres connections

From: Mark Roberts <mailing_lists(at)pandapocket(dot)com>
To: "Ridvan Lakas ng Bayan S(dot) Baluyos" <ridvan(at)baluyos(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Number of postgres connections
Date: 2008-07-11 16:22:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 15:27 +0800, Ridvan Lakas ng Bayan S. Baluyos
wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've having a dilemma here. My problem here is that I'm getting maxed
> out of my connection. My max connection is set to 100. I don't know if
> setting the max connection higher is the right solution. My other
> alternative is to scan through the application and check whether it
> closes the database connection. We're currently using Propel as our
> ORM.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ridvan
>
> --
> EB White - "Be obscure clearly."

Honestly, I'd check to make sure that the application is both recycling
the database handles as well as committing/closing down unnecessary
handles. Other than that, it sounds like you've already got everything
figured out.

I've typically found it handy to write a database handle cache mechanism
for my applications. I don't know how this would work with Propel, but
if you suspect that it's the culprit, feel free to hit up their
support/mailing lists.

If this is a production server, it might also be worth putting in some
logging/monitoring software to page you if you're approaching your
connection limit. Best of luck!

-Mark