Re: [HACKERS] odd output in restore mode

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, List pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] odd output in restore mode
Date: 2008-07-01 08:39:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 19:29 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Dave Page wrote:

> >> Copy a large file across a relatively slow network, and check the size
> >> on the destination drive before it finishes.

> >> It does not pre-allocate.

> >> Sounds reasonable to me.
> >>

> > Are there any changes we need to make here?
> >

> Yes. Simon has promised a patch to do the above.

Patch implements

* recommendation to use GnuWin32 cp on Windows
* provide "holdtime" delay, default 0 (on all platforms)
* default stays same on Windows="copy" to ensure people upgrading don't
get stung

Patch should be backpatched to 8.3, plus to CVS HEAD.

We should recommend in next 8.3 release notes that people use "-p" or
"-l" rather than just letting it default.

Will add permalink to Wiki when patch appears in archives.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_standby_win32.v1.patch text/x-patch 9.7 KB