Re: A GUC variable to replace PGBE_ACTIVITY_SIZE

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Thomas Lee <tom(at)vector-seven(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A GUC variable to replace PGBE_ACTIVITY_SIZE
Date: 2008-06-23 18:12:08
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 03:52 +1000, Thomas Lee wrote:
> * Should it be possible to set this new variable via a command-line
> option ala shared_buffers?

I would say not: most parameters cannot be set by special command-line
parameters, and this one is not important enough to warrant special
treatment. Instead, "--track_activity_query_size=x" can be used as-is.

> * I'm not exactly sure about the best way to add unit/regr tests for
> this change.

AFAICS there isn't an easy way.

> * I'm also not sure what's required in the way of updates to the
> documentation.

postgresql.conf.sample and doc/src/sgml/config.sgml should be updated at
a minimum.

-Neil