Re: PostgreSQL derivatives

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Seth Grimes <grimes(at)altaplana(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date: 2008-06-12 20:26:19
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 21:21 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 10:42 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Dave Page wrote:

> I do. Non-profit organisations must be run "without fear or favour" and

Well PostgreSQL.Org is not a non profit organization, it is a community
and PgCon is a commercial event, so I am not sure how this is relevant?

> that includes not accepting gifts of any kind, though anonymous
> donations are always acceptable.

What? I welcome any donation directly and advertised from EDB to PGUS as
it will help us achieve our goals. I look forward to them being partners
in the success of the corporation. That does not mean however that I
will (as anyone will attest per my talk at MySQLCon about Sun) cater to
them. They should donate if they believe in the direction of the
corporation.

> If we don't do this, then people may get the impression that certain
> companies dominate and that can easily lead to non-contribution. So
> IMHO, being even handed is critically important to our future.

Ahh now I see where you are coming from. If we follow the meritocracy
model, it doesn't matter who is contributing, commercial or individual,
it is the merits of those contributions that allow for the success.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake