Re: Draft bylaws are now available

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgus-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Draft bylaws are now available
Date: 2008-06-10 15:41:47
Lists: pgus-general

> > One thing - I don't like the idea of having the election at different
> > times of year.  I think this will be confusing for members. I had
> > originally raised an objection about the location, but eventually, I
> > think it would be great to have our meetings in different places
> > across the country.  But for the first few years, I think we need to
> > stay in one or two places.
>
> Agreed.  I'd prefer to have an annual election at one of the
> postgresqlconference.org series, with some provision for online
> participation.

This is the current thinking. One of the things the conference project
wants to do is have a debate/town hall at West with the nominees about
what their goals would be if they were elected etc...

> This also brings up another point: how valuable is it to have the staggered
> 4/3 6-month elections?  This will add a significant amount of effort and
> confusion; is the gain in continuity greater than the work required?

The current solution on the table is:
(wording is not final of course)

´╗┐Election in October 08 for four two year terms
 Board members who are elected in October 08 take their seat at the
Annual meeting.

Annual meeting takes place in March.

Founders also have two year terms.

Which means:

Founders are up for re-election October 2010 with their seats being
replaced or renewed March 2010

The four new members are up for re-election October 2011 because they
don't take their seats until March 2009.

Officers keep their seats for the length of their term. If they
are re-elected, board elects new officers (which of course may be the
same people).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake