Re: BUG #3110: Online Backup introduces Duplicate OIDs

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Randy Isbell (jisbell)" <jisbell(at)cisco(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3110: Online Backup introduces Duplicate OIDs
Date: 2008-06-05 15:31:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> > I would like to introduce a WARNING message into recovery to show that a
> > backup_label was expected, yet was not present. This is normal in some
> > use cases of recovery, but we need to be able to tell those situations
> > apart. Any objections?
>
> Given that the case would sometimes be expected, I think a warning would
> just add confusion. If we could distinguish the cases and make it a
> hard ERROR to be lacking the label when it's needed, then maybe, but I'm
> not sure how.

OK, understood.

How about we do this:

* Add some more docs

* Put a specific warning about the need for a backup_label file into the
next release notes for 8.x.x releases. "Important change to docs for
recovery:..."

* In the release note comments, add that in a future release we will add
a parameter to recovery.conf "require_backup_label" which defaults to
"true".

* Repeat this warning in the next release notes also

* On the one after that we actually make the change. Once we add this,
if the backup_label is missing then we throw an ERROR.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com