Re: Case-Insensitve Text Comparison

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Case-Insensitve Text Comparison
Date: 2008-06-02 17:56:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 22:13 -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> What locale is right? If I have a Web app, there could be data in many
> different languages in a single table/column.

I think the values should be explicitly treated differently.

It would be nice if you could just typecast, like:
"lower(somevalue::text(fr_CA))"

which would then lowercase according to the fr_CA locale, regardless of
the locale of "somevalue".

Using typmod for localization was brought up here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-06/msg00635.php

Has it been discussed further? I happen to like the idea of the TEXT
type taking a locale as a typmod. No typmod would, of course, fall back
to the cluster setting. And it would throw an exception if the encoding
couldn't represent that locale.

Regards,
	Jeff Davis