Re: Case-Insensitve Text Comparison

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Case-Insensitve Text Comparison
Date: 2008-06-02 17:29:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 09:51 -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:13:07PM -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
>
> > What locale is right? If I have a Web app, there could be data in many
> > different languages in a single table/column.
>
> I think the above amounts to a need for per-session locale settings or
> something, no?

What if you had a CHECK constraint that was locale-sensitive? Would the
constraint only be non-false (true or null) for records inserted under
the same locale? That's not very useful.

I think if you want some special treatment of text for some users, it
should be explicit. Text in one locale is really a different type from
text in another locale, and so changing the locale of some text variable
is really a typecast. I don't think GUCs are the correct mechanism for
this.

Regards,
Jeff Davis