Re: 2GB or not 2GB

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2GB or not 2GB
Date: 2008-06-01 09:10:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 11:53 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Simon,
>
> > There is an optimum for each specific sort.
>
> Well, if the optimum is something other than "as much as we can get", then we
> still have a pretty serious issue with work_mem, no?

Depends upon your view of serious I suppose. I would say it is an
acceptable situation, but needs further optimization. I threw some ideas
around on Hackers around Dec/New Year, but I don't have time to work on
this further myself in this dev cycle. Further contributions welcome.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com