active queries

From: Miklosi Attila <amiklosi(at)freemail(dot)hu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: active queries
Date: 2008-05-27 13:08:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!

Our company has a long last problem by using libpq in multi-threaded
programs. The libpq usually closes the programs without any error
message or rarely giving the 'Invalid frontend message type 87' error.
When asked you about this error message you gave the reply below. In the
reply there is only one thing which is not clear... What does an
'active' query mean? Or how can we detect active queries on a PGconn?
We have tried PQcancel() and PQreset() functions too, but they didn't
help solving the problem.
Our programs retrieve every result (PQgetResult() and PQclear()
functions) that is pending on the server before reusing a PGconn.

Thank you in advance
Attila Miklosi

P.S.: this is a copy of your reply to 'invalid frontend message type 87'
error message