Re: Avoiding a needless failure of PITR

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <fujii(dot)masao(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Avoiding a needless failure of PITR
Date: 2008-04-24 15:18:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 23:25 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PITR always fails in finding the archived log file with wrong size. But,
> I think that we can continue PITR if .ready file of the same name exists
> in XLOGDIR/archive_status, ie the complete file might exist in XLOGDIR.
>
> I want to modify the implementation of PITR a little as follows.
>
> - In PITR, if the archived log file with wrong size is found,
> we check for .ready in XLOGDIR/archive_status.
>
> - If .ready exists, we try to continue PITR by using the log file in XLOGDIR.
> (The log message about the situation might be needed.)
>
> - Otherwise, we make PITR fail as it is (making fatal error).

If you do get this error *and* you have a good copy of the file
somewhere, then you can copy it to the archive and restart recovery.

If we didn't fail, but checked for a local copy then it would have
worked automatically in your case, thats true. But it would fail in any
other case where a truncated file was copied over even though a good
copy is available, such as when 2 copies of archived files are
maintained remotely.

We should look upon the FATAL error as an opportunity to intervene and
then restart recovery, rather than a problem itself.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com