Collation at database level

From: Radek Strnad <radek(dot)strnad(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Collation at database level
Date: 2008-04-16 12:36:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

	I'm working on the bachelor thesis. The goal of the work will be to
implement collation at database level based on POSIX locales and make
foundations for further national language support development. User will
be able to set collation when creating database or change collation of
existing one. Particulary commands CREATE DATABASE... COLLATE … and
ALTER DATABASE … COLLATE … regarding ANSI standard.
	Work will also implement possibility of creating users's own collation
collection – commands CREATE COLLATION … FROM … USING and DROP COLLATION
regaring ANSI standard. Additional features like ascending, descending
ordering and key sensitivity will be included (these are not in ANSI
standard).
	The initial part of my work has been completed and submitted as part of
a patch contributed by Alexey Slynko
(http://www.activebait.net/msg00019.html). I'm now in stage of adding
collation catalogs, that will be important for further multi language
support. The problem with POSIX locales is that you never know what
locales user have got installed. I've discovered that some linux distros
don't even have other than UTF-8 based locales. Because of ANSI defines
collations deffined by ISO-8859-1 and UTF-* we need to somehow implement
these collations. From my point of view, to create a catalog will be
extremely slow so I'm thinking of writing two function for collation
that will use both system locales as well as some hard-coded collations.
Any sugestions?

	Radek Strnad