Re: [HACKERS] Uniform policy for author credits in contrib module documentation?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Uniform policy for author credits in contrib module documentation?
Date: 2007-12-07 06:21:10
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> Historically, the only way to troubleshoot some of the contrib modules
> was to e-mail the author. If people think that we've reached a standard
> that everything in /contrib is now well-documented and supported by the
> general community, the I suppose we don't need contact information. I'm
> not so sure myself.

I do not think that we should encourage people to mail the authors first
rather than pgsql-bugs. For one thing, a lot of those addresses are
dead, and some of the ones that aren't don't respond especially fast.

If the community-at-large can't handle a bug, we certainly have enough
institutional memory to try to contact the original author, even if that
address isn't in the SGML docs.