Re: pg_standby for 8.2 (with last restart point)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_standby for 8.2 (with last restart point)
Date: 2008-03-28 09:35:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
> > ... That was a small change in a utility that should never be run on a
> > production system. You're trying to get a change made to the code path
> > people rely on for their *backups*. Good luck with that.
>
> While I quite agree with Greg's comments about not changing stable
> release branches unnecessarily, it seems that there's another
> consideration in this case. If we don't back-patch %r then users
> will have to rely on hacky scripts like the one posted upthread.
> Is that really a net gain in reliability?
>
> (I'm honestly not sure of the answer; I'm just thinking it might
> be open to debate. In particular I don't remember how complicated
> the patch to add %r was.)

Here's the original patch, edited to remove pg_standby changes.

I've not even checked whether it will apply, but it seems fairly simple.

Gurjeet, would you like to freshen and test that up for apply to 8.2?

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
last_restart_point.v2.patch text/x-patch 6.9 KB