Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql

From: Gregory Youngblood <greg(at)tcscs(dot)com>
To: david(at)lang(dot)hm
Cc: Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql
Date: 2008-03-18 18:52:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 11:04 -0700, david(at)lang(dot)hm wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
>

> > On 18/03/2008, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> >> Isn't a 10 or 24 spindle RAID 5 array awfully likely to encounter a
> >> double disk failure (such as during the load imposed by rebuild onto a
> >> spare) ?
>
> that's why you should use raid6 (allowing for dual failures)

And, if possible, try to use drives from a couple of different batches.
I wouldn't go crazy trying to do this, but sometimes a combination of
drives from two or three batches can make a difference (though not
always).

Also, a very informative read:
http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf
In short, best thing to do is watch SMART and be prepared to try and
swap a drive out before it fails completely. :)