Re: BUG #5611: SQL Function STABLE promoting to VOLATILE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Brian Ceccarelli <bceccarelli(at)net32(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5611: SQL Function STABLE promoting to VOLATILE
Date: 2010-08-11 21:12:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> In theory, the optimization Brian wants is possible here, right? I
> mean, you could replace the functional call with a Param, and pull the
> Param out and make it an InitPlan. Seems like that would generally be
> a win, if you figure to loop more than once and the execution cost of
> the function is not too tiny.

Yeah, possibly. It would probably be difficult for the planner to
figure out where the cutover point is to make that worthwhile, though;
the point where you'd need to make the transformation is long before we
have any rowcount estimates.

I was about to suggest that Brian could make that happen manually
by writing ... FROM srf((SELECT expensive_func())) ... but I think
actually that will just amount to another way of disabling inlining.