Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date: 2009-05-28 16:51:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> There's another issue which is that of the $Id$ and similar tags. We
> have to decide what we want to do with them. If we're not going to have
> them in the Git repository, then they are only causing trouble right now
> and it would be better to get rid of them completely for the conversion,
> to avoid the noise that they will invariably cause.

What was in the back of my mind was that we'd go around and mass-remove
$PostgreSQL$ (and any other lurking tags), but only from HEAD and only
after the repo conversion. Although just before it would be okay too.
The stickier part of this is what to do about back branches;
particularly whether we are okay with checked-out versions of past
releases not matching the actual shipped tarballs on this point.