Re: problem on psql command

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexandre Ricciardi <alexandre(dot)ricciardi(at)free(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem on psql command
Date: 2004-03-29 15:42:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

Alexandre Ricciardi <alexandre(dot)ricciardi(at)free(dot)fr> writes:
> I have just installed postgresql and i have the following messages :

You seem to have a rather messed-up installation :-(

> postgres(at)2[postgres]$ createdb testpg
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/readpgenv: line 2:
> /etc/postgresql/postgresql.env: No such file or directory

I do not know what is causing that warning --- there is no such program
as readpgenv in any standard Postgres installation. I think that some
Linux distributions' RPMs add on such cruft; I'd suggest filing a bug
report with the distribution. But anyway it seems to be just an
annoying warning.

> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql: relocation error:
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/psql: undefined symbol: PQgetssl

This is happening because a psql program compiled with SSL support is
trying to use a libpq.so compiled without SSL support. It would seem
that you have two different Postgres installations on your machine and
they're conflicting. I'd suggest fully deinstalling the older version.
You may also need to do some hacking on ldconfig to get the dynamic
loader to find the desired copy of libpq.so.