Re: JDBC, prepared queries, and partitioning

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL - JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC, prepared queries, and partitioning
Date: 2008-02-13 22:32:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 17:15 -0500, Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Simon Riggs wrote:
>
> > I'd read it before and again before I posted this evening. Which part of
> > that says prepareTheshold only applies to v2 protocol?
>
> Perhaps not the clearest wording (too many version numbers), but the below
> is supposed to say that:
>
> "Enabling server-prepared statements will have no affect when connected to
> a 7.3 server or when explicitly using the V2 protocol to connect to a 7.4
> server."
>
> > The code example doesn't explicitly state protocolVersion as you say is
> > required either.
> >

> Well the default is V3, so it's not necessary to explicity state it.

But the code example shows explicit use of

pgconn.setPrepareThreshold(5);

which clearly does nothing, given the default setting of protocol V3.

So the program shown only works as stated with 7.3, the last time the
default connection protocol was v2.

> > You don't think its important?
> >

> It's not important to me. If I was going to doing some doc editing, I'd
> probably hit this area, but for the moment I think it's close enough to
> the truth and I've got other things to do.

Should we be asking for volunteers to overhaul the docs? I'm concerned
that some important facts aren't just wrong, they've been wrong for 4+
years. That's a pretty serious situation for customer performance as
well as advocacy.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com