Re: Endless recovery

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Endless recovery
Date: 2008-02-11 10:02:37
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 09:29 +0100, Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:
> Last week we have seen a problem with some horribly configured
> machine.
> The disk filled up (bad FSM ;) ) and once this happened the sysadmi
> killed the system (-9).
> After two days PostgreSQL has still not started up and they tried to
> restart it again and again making sure that the consistency check was
> started over an over again (thus causing more and more downtime).
> From the admi point of view there was no way to find out whether the
> machine was actually dead or still recovering.

I'm sorry to hear about this problem.

Not sure we need a LOG message to warn people about the possible length
of recovery time. The chances of a recovery taking that much time seem
very low for normal Postgres, even with checkpoint parameters set at
their maximum values.

I note that the configuration section does not mention the likely
increase in recovery time that will result from setting those parameters
higher. That needs a patch. ISTM a serious omission that should be
treated as a bug and backpatched.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com