Re: PostgreSQL Europe statutes : recap

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Europe statutes : recap
Date: 2008-01-25 09:15:07
Lists: pgeu-general
On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 07:36 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:50:47 +0100
> Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it> wrote:
>
> > On Monday 21 January 2008 Joshua D. Drake's cat, walking on the
> > keyboard, wrote:
> > > My opinion is simple. It is the members that should decide who is on
> > > the board and the board who decides who is an officer. The
> > > nationality or citizenship shouldn't matter.
> >
> > That's true for a global organization, but I guess that for an eu
> > organization locality matters, and while we can have members and
> > contributors from all around the world, having directors that are
> > let's say "too much" outside the eu could lead to a bad leadership.
>
> Wouldn't that be up to the membership to decide? I would think that the
> membership would only vote for people who what they feel are best for
> the position.

Not really. It's important that the people that get voted in have all
the legal capabilities to act within Europe, as well as other practical
aspects like being in the same timezones.

Otherwise we may as well call this PostgreSQL Antarctica. People are
welcome to set that up too, on a different list.

Please let common sense prevail. We don't want to put silly rules in
place to prevent "outsiders", but if you ain't from Europe: You're
welcome here, but not as an *active* participant. That is for simple
practical reasons, not malicious ones.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com