Re: WAL copying includes vacuum, reindex, etc?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: d(dot)wall(at)computer(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL copying includes vacuum, reindex, etc?
Date: 2008-01-15 17:35:32
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 09:19 -0800, David Wall wrote:

> When running WAL backups and warm-standby restores (we're currently on
> PG 8.2), do the vacuumlo changes, vacuum, analyze and reindex type
> commands get pushed through WAL files to the backup?  Or will the backup
> database not have these maintenance items done?

All of those commands produce WAL for critical changes to data blocks,
so those are passed through correctly.

Hint bits are not set following recovery, so a full database VACUUM may
help later performance, depends upon your access patterns. It's probably
good for peace of mind too, but it's a long way from being an essential
requirement.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com