RE: [SQL] Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC and getting just assigned serial number

From: "Hutton, Rob" <HuttonR(at)plymart(dot)com>
To: "'Herouth Maoz'" <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>, steinbeck(at)ice(dot)mpg(dot)de, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [SQL] Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC and getting just assigned serial number
Date: 1999-09-22 16:21:53
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-sql

Except in an active database, or possibly not so active, where another
record is inserted between the time yours is committed and you do the
currval. It is much safer to do a select on nextval to get the value, the
put it in as part of your update. It eliminates the chance that you will
get the wrong record, and there is minimal overhead.