AW: Idea: quicker abort after loss of client connection

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: Idea: quicker abort after loss of client connection
Date: 2001-06-06 09:16:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> We have deliberately avoided trying to abort as soon as the connection
> drops, for fear that that might cause unexpected problems.

Isn't there the additional worry, that if the backend does not abort,
that the client might not even notice the error (receives the next packet
which happens to be aligned at row boundaries) ?
Thus my understanding would be, that we eighter need to retry the send,
or abort immediately.

If you do the query cancel, and the connection problem was only intermittent
then the client might receive the query cancelled response for which he is not
prepared, no ?

Imho if the backend cannot allways safely abort, that would be a bug, no ?

Andreas

pgsql-hackers by date

Next:From: Reinoud van LeeuwenDate: 2001-06-06 12:24:41