AW: AW: WAL does not recover gracefully from out-of-dis k-sp ace

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Vadim Mikheev <vadim4o(at)email(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: AW: WAL does not recover gracefully from out-of-dis k-sp ace
Date: 2001-02-26 15:51:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Imho this write at logfile init time adds a substantial amount of IO,
> > that would better be avoided. If we really need this, it would imho
> > be better to preallocate N logfiles and reuse them after checkpoint.
>
> Already done. See the WAL_FILES parameter.

I meant something else. I did not mean to write/format the logfile during
checkpoint at all, but to reuse logfile number 0000000 for a later logfile.
Doing the format during checkpoint hurts even more, since that is the
time when the most writes occur, no ?

In my setup initdb, or startup, or whatever would preallocate N logfiles,
and those are reused round robin.

Andreas