AW: beta testing version

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'xuyifeng'" <jamexu(at)telekbird(dot)com(dot)cn>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: beta testing version
Date: 2000-11-29 08:55:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> NO, I just tested how solid PgSQL  is,  I run a program busy inserting record into PG table,  when I
> suddenly pulled out power from my machine and  restarted PG, I can not insert any record into database
> table,  all backends are dead without any respone (not core dump), note that I am using FreeBSD 4.2,
> it's rock solid,  it's not OS crash, it just losted power.

PostgreSQL Versions 7.0 and below  have the potential of corruting indices when the system crashes.
The usual procedure would be to reindex the database. Hiroshi has written code to allow this.
It is weird, that your installation blocks. Have you checked the postmaster log ?

> We use WindowsNT and MSSQL on our production
> server,  before we accept MSSQL, we use this method to test if MSSQL can endure this kind of strik,
> it's OK, all databases are safely recovered, we can continue our work. we are a stock exchange company,
> our server are storing millilion $ finance number, we don't hope there are any problems in this case,
> we are using UPS,  but UPS is not everything,  it you bet everything on UPS, you must be idiot.
> I know you must be an avocation of PG, but we are professional customer, corporation user, we store critical
> data into database, not your garbage data.

Yes, this is a test I would also do before putting very sensitive data onto a particular brand of database.

Fortunately Version 7.1 of PostgreSQL will live up to your expectations in this area.

Andreas