AW: Please advise features in 7.1 (SUMMARY)

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: Please advise features in 7.1 (SUMMARY)
Date: 2000-11-28 16:19:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I guess it depends on what you're using it for -- disk space
> is cheap and
> abundant anymore, I can see some advantages of having it
> computed only once
> rather than X times, where X is the number of SELECTs as that
> could get
> costly on really high traffic servers.. Costly not so much for simple
> computations like that but more complex ones.

Once and for all forget the argument in database technology, that disk space
is cheap in regard to $/Mb. That is not the question. The issue is:
	1. amout of rows you can cache
	2. number of rows you can read from disk per second
	     (note that it is not pages/sec)
	3. how many rows you can sort in memory

In the above sence disk space is one of the most expensive things in a
database system. Saving disk space where possible will gain you drastic
performance advantages.

Andreas