AW: Please no // comments in C source (ecpg)

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'520083510237-0001(at)t-online(dot)de'" <520083510237-0001(at)t-online(dot)de>, Peter Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: "'Michael Meskes'" <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: AW: Please no // comments in C source (ecpg)
Date: 2000-09-25 15:50:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > > Please don't use C++ style comments in C source files.
> > > It does not work for all ports.
> >
> > AFAIK, only GCC supports // as comments.
>
> // comments are legal as of Standard C 1999, so expect more
> compilers to
> accept them silently.  (That still doesn't mean we get to use them, of
> course.)

Well, xlc (aix compiler) does have a flag to allow // comments,
so if we think that all other compilers support them we can use the flag
in the AIX port, and forget about the issue.

But I guess we better not, and that was why we don't use the flag.
That makes me the dummy that complains from time to time,
since nobody else who compiles snapshots seems to notice :-)

Such is life :-)
Andreas