AW: Status of new relation file naming

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Mikheev, Vadim'" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, "'hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: AW: Status of new relation file naming
Date: 2000-09-14 07:47:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > You have to tell us whether you plan to implement
> > a safe file rename in WAL ? If yes a simple filename
> > without version would be possible and better.
>
> What do you mean?

The previous discussion we had where we concluded, that
an os rename of a file cannot be done without risc.
But that risc was imho acceptable to avoid the extra version in the filename

(a rename back to the old name could fail when the tx is supposed
to be rolled back).

Search the archive for "file rename sync".

My conlusion would be an oid only filename, or a mixture of
oid and tablename, where tablename can be wildcarded on a directory search,
since oid is already unique. No version in the name, we would do renames in
that case.

If I remember correctly a patch exists that does oid only filenames.

Andreas