Re: UTF-8 encoding failure

From: Martin Schäfer <Martin(dot)Schaefer(at)cadcorp(dot)com>
To: 'Takahiro Itagaki' <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UTF-8 encoding failure
Date: 2010-03-26 08:43:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Unfortunately there are encoding problems on my machine. I'm getting this output:

Testing with encoding UTF-8:
PQfname(pResult, 4) returned incorrect field name.
PQfname(pResult, 5) returned incorrect field name.
PQfname(pResult, 6) returned incorrect field name.

Testing with encoding SJIS:
Query failed with error:
ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xe59eff
HINT: This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by "client_encoding".

Instead of a Japanese OS, I used an English (UK) OS and set the system locale to Japanese, but that should be good enough I think.
I also used a new install of PostgreSQL, with only the PostGIS module added.

Okay, I find it difficult to imagine that a bug like this would not have been found before. But if it works fine on your machines, why doesn't it work on my machine?

Regards,

Martin Schäfer
Principal Software Engineer
Cadcorp
Computer Aided Development Corporation Ltd.
1 Heathcock Court, London, WC2R 0NT
martin(dot)schaefer(at)cadcorp(dot)com
www.cadcorp.com

This email is confidential and may be privileged and should not be used, read
or copied by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have
received this email in error please inform the sender and delete it from
your mailbox or any other storage mechanism. Unless specifically stated,
nothing in this email constitutes an offer by Cadcorp and Cadcorp does not
warrant that any information contained in this email is accurate.
Cadcorp cannot accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the
sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Cadcorp or one of its agents.
Please rely on your own virus check. No responsibility is taken by Cadcorp
for any damage arising out of any bug or virus infection.