Re: Revised patch for fixing archiver shutdown behavior

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Revised patch for fixing archiver shutdown behavior
Date: 2008-01-10 15:53:04
Lists: pgsql-patches
> > Something I'm still wondering is about the archiver/logger combination.
> > What happens if a postmaster is stopped by the user and the archiver is
> > still running, and the user starts a new postmaster?  This would launch
> > a new archiver and logger; and there are now two loggers possibly
> > writing to the same files, and truncated log lines could occur.
>
> I'm not nearly as worried about that as I am about the prospect of
> two concurrent archivers :-(

How strange, I was just looking at that particular possibility when your
mail arrived.

The earlier patch looks good, but I see you've reverted the
PostmasterIsAlive() check in pgarch_ArchiverCopyLoop(). That was put in
to prevent multiple archivers. Can we keep that?

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com