Re: Duplicate values found when reindexing unique index

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mason Hale <masonhale(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicate values found when reindexing unique index
Date: 2007-12-31 17:20:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> It might be worth trawling through both files to check the page headers
> (every 8K) and see which ones agree with expectation and which don't.
> The state of the ...0058 file might be explained by the theory that
> you'd archived it a bit too late (after the first page had been
> overwritten with newer WAL data),

The interlock with .ready and .done should prevent reuse of a file. So
the only way this could happen is if the archive_command queued a
request to copy, rather than performing the copy immediately.

So I was going to say "thats not possible", but perhaps rsync might
become confused by the file renaming mechanism we use?

> but the ...0059 file seems just plain
> broken.

Yeh

> I am starting to wonder about hardware or OS misfeasance
> causing writes to be lost or misdirected.

Agreed

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com