Re: Sorting Improvements for 8.4

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sorting Improvements for 8.4
Date: 2007-12-18 09:31:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 16:34 -0800, Ron Mayer wrote:

> PS: Yeah, I know multi-threading is a hot-button on these
> lists; but sorting seems a relatively isolated of the code
> and I'd wonder if it'd be isolate-able enough that multiple
> CPUs could be used there.

I'm not sure multi-threading is the issue you think. Threads is, but
only for architectural reasons. Using multiple processes to complete a
task seems very sensible to me.

Yeh, sorting is isolated enough to try out some of those ideas on. I was
unaware of the work on finding medians, so thats a good way of dividing
the workloads for parallelism.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com