Re: VLDB Features

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: VLDB Features
Date: 2007-12-15 11:10:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, L, 2007-12-15 kell 01:12, kirjutas Tom Lane:
> > There's no way we can do a transactionless load, then? I'm thinking of the
> > load-into-new-partition which is a single pass/fail operation. Would
> > ignoring individual row errors in for this case still cause these kinds of
> > problems?
>
> Given that COPY fires triggers and runs CHECK constraints, there is no
> part of the system that cannot be exercised during COPY. So I think
> supposing that we can just deal with some simplified subset of reality
> is mere folly.

But can't we _define_ such a subset, where we can do a transactionless
load ?

I don't think that most DW/VLDB schemas fire complex triggers or custom
data-modifying functions inside CHECK's.

Then we could just run the remaining simple CHECK constraints ourselves
and not abort on non-check, but just log the rows ?

The COPY ... WITH ERRORS TO ... would essentially become a big
conditional RULE through which the incoming data is processed.

Hannu