Re: Press Release review comments

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Press Release review comments
Date: 2007-12-15 09:07:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 15:40 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Note that this isn't publically accessible. People have to have CVS rights
> to it. That's on purpose, because it's important that the quotes *not*
> get distributed to the press before official release date -- and a couple
> reporters read this list archives. Hi, guys!

OK, sorry.

> > So I suggest we swap Just-in-time for Async Commit.
>
> I don't necessarily disagree with the priorities, but your changes are kind
> of untimely. That text was there for over a month of discussion -- it's
> gone out to the translators already. I'm sorry to be negative when you're
> trying to help, but I *begged* people to comment and correct in November.

Apologies again.

> So, do you feel that making the change is worth potentially having some of
> the translated versions be inconsistent because they don't get updated?

In short, Yes.

> > Lastly, the press contacts listed are all on the North American
> > continent and within a few hours of each other.
>
> That's because the version you're looking at is the one I'm going to send
> out to the North American press, and is provided as an example. The one
> you send out would, of course, have your and Raymond's contact info, and
> the one Charles sends out would have his. To look at the *general*
> version, look in 8.3/translate -- that version will get filled in with the
> appropriate regional contacts for that language.

OK, well this all makes sense. I didn't realise I was allowed to modify
the UK version. That covers most of my thinking. I'll put myself, Ray
and Dave on there if thats OK with them.

I still think it would be helpful to have an International version for
when recipients are multi-national, but thats just a nice to have.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com