Re: VLDB Features

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: VLDB Features
Date: 2007-12-14 19:27:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 14:48 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> How did you do it ?
>
> Did you enchance COPY command or was it something completely new ?

By modifying COPY: COPY IGNORE ERRORS or some such would instruct COPY
to drop (and log) rows that contain malformed data. That is, rows with
too many or too few columns, rows that result in constraint violations,
and rows containing columns where the data type's input function raises
an error. The last case is the only thing that would be a bit tricky to
implement, I think: you could use PG_TRY() around the InputFunctionCall,
but I guess you'd need a subtransaction to ensure that you reset your
state correctly after catching an error.

-Neil