Re: BUG #3790: pg_restore error canceling statement duetouser request

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Mike C(dot)" <smith(dot)not(dot)western(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3790: pg_restore error canceling statement duetouser request
Date: 2007-12-06 14:50:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 11:33 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tom Lane escribió:
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
> > > I don't advocate changing that ERROR to anything else.  The message
> > > wording, as Tom says, can easily be changed -- I think this patch should
> > > be enough.  Feel free to propose better wording.
> >
> > Minor gripe: all three variants of the message should follow the same
> > sentence construction.  So perhaps "canceling autovacuum task".
>
> Ok, committed using that wording and spelling.

Sorry to come in on late on this: That wording is better, but it still
doesn't explain why it has occurred or what the user should do about it.
I think we will get other complaints saying "why has my autovacuum been
canceled?" and "what should I do about this?".

Perhaps it should be
"canceling autovacuum task; will reschedule when user tasks complete"
or
"autovacuum canceled temporarily to allow user task to proceed"

or something that explains that what has happened is a good thing and
the task that has been canceled will be automatically re-tried.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com