Re: TB-sized databases

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Koczan <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TB-sized databases
Date: 2007-11-27 20:57:25
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 14:18 -0600, Peter Koczan wrote:

> Thanks all. This is just what I needed.

All of those responses have cooked up quite a few topics into one. Large
databases might mean text warehouses, XML message stores, relational
archives and fact-based business data warehouses.

The main thing is that TB-sized databases are performance critical. So
it all depends upon your workload really as to how well PostgreSQL, or
another other RDBMS vendor can handle them.

Anyway, my reason for replying to this thread is that I'm planning
changes for PostgreSQL 8.4+ that will make allow us to get bigger and
faster databases. If anybody has specific concerns then I'd like to hear
them so I can consider those things in the planning stages.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com