Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG 7.3 is five years old today
Date: 2007-11-27 20:07:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> There has been some discussion of making a project policy of dropping
> support for old releases after five years. Should we consider formally
> instituting that?
>
> I see that there are two or three minor bug fixes in the REL7_3_STABLE
> branch since 7.3.20. Rather than just leaving those to rot, maybe the
> actual policy should be "only one more update after 8.3 comes out".

Well, I agree that it shouldn't be your responsibility to do that. We
need to reduce the things you have to worry about to allow you to focus
on later releases.

One of the good things about open source is the ability for software to
remain supported for many years longer than closed source software.

Perhaps we should ask for volunteers to maintain that branch? If we had
a maintenance release manager, then they can take responsibility for
passing down any appropriate bug fixes. We could also create a new list
for people discussing older releases, so we don't get pinged all the
time.

That way anybody with an application at older release levels can either
step up to the plate or lose support.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com