Table inheritance, unique constraints and foreign key problem

From: Jacob Rief <jacob(dot)rief(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Table inheritance, unique constraints and foreign key problem
Date: 2007-11-26 22:56:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,
this issue has been requested and its on the TODO-list. Since I really
need foreign key constraints on inherited tables, I have two solutions:
Adding some hackish RULES/TRIGGERS to my tables or implementing it
myself. It think the latter is better. However, I have no experience in
implementing such a feature in Postgres. I have written some triggers in
C (actually C++) using the SPI_-functions, but that's it. I have a
running 8.3beta, checked out from the repository, and I have read the
Ottawa slides. Can someone tell me in a few lines, where to start with
such a feature.
Jacob