Re: 8.3b2: problem using "COPY ... TO/FROM .... BINARY"

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Thomas H(dot)" <me(at)alternize(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.3b2: problem using "COPY ... TO/FROM .... BINARY"
Date: 2007-11-19 17:01:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> >> both versions are the official win32 builds from postgresl.org...
>
> > That means Tom is right, as usual :-)
>
> > 8.3 is built with integer timestamps, 8.2 and earlier with float
> > timestamps.
>
> Hmm, is that documented as a version discrepancy for the Win32 builds?
>
> IIRC we had rough consensus for switching the default setting to integer
> timestamps in 8.4. Perhaps it would be better for the Win32 build to
> wait till 8.4 before switching, for consistency with other platforms.

The switch is in that it's the default on the MSVC build. So two
different decisions (making that the default on MSVC, and making the
MSVC build the default) together made that third.

I'm fine dropping the default on MSVC until 8.4, if it's going to happen
then. The downside then is that people won't be able to upgrade to the
next beta without initdb, right? Which isn't too good, but it's better
to make such a change during beta than to have to do it during
release...

//Magnus