Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date: 2011-06-14 00:14:55
Lists: pgsql-docs

> I think the big question is whether we can afford to allow multiple SVG
> editor file formats to be checked in, and hence support git diff churn
> as we switch SVG editors for commits. This doesn't seem likely to
> improve anytime soon so we should just decide and move forward.

> Perhaps we should allow any SVG file to be imported, but only allow
> modifications by a single SVG editor.

How is that sensible? The first change to the file will result in
exactly the mass of cosmetic diffs that we wish to avoid.

I think we probably have to specify the One True Graphics Editor, and
maybe even specific version(s) of it, if we want to avoid unreadable
diffs. The reason we have not managed to come to a consensus yet is
that people would prefer not to do that, but it's becoming obvious that
there just isn't any way around it.