Re: 12 hour table vacuums

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Ron St-Pierre <ron(dot)pgsql(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 12 hour table vacuums
Date: 2007-10-23 16:21:16
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 08:53 -0700, Ron St-Pierre wrote:
> [snip] We were running autovacuum but it interfered with
> the updates to we shut it off.

This is not directly related to your question, but it might be good for
your DB: you don't need to turn off autovacuum, you can exclude tables
individually from being autovacuumed by inserting the appropriate rows
in pg_autovacuum. See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/catalog-pg-autovacuum.html

We also do have here a few big tables which we don't want autovacuum to
touch, so we disable them via pg_autovacuum. There are a few really big
ones which change rarely - those we only vacuum via a DB wide vacuum in
the weekend (which for us is a low activity period). If you say your
table is only changed rarely, you might be OK too with such a setup...

Cheers,
Csaba.