Re: Compiling Functions in Postgresql

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Jasbinder Singh Bali <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Novice Postgresql-list <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compiling Functions in Postgresql
Date: 2007-10-16 17:14:49
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 02:17 -0400, Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:
> Hi,
> I know that in Sql Server, Stored Procedures are compiled only once
> and then the same execution plan is utilized. This definitely gives a
> tremendous performance boost
> when Stored Procedures are called repeatedly.
> Now, in Postgresql, how are the User Defined Functions compiled. Is it
> just once or every single time a function is called.
> I used Function instead of Stored Procedure while talking about
> Postgresql because Stored Procedures in Postgresql are Wrapped around
> in
> a User Defined Function.

Functions are evaluated the first time that they are called in a
session.  At that point the plan for any database operations is done and
it is left available for future executions within the same session.

A session is from user connection to disconnection.

Oliver Elphick                                          olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight
   Do you want to know God?

believed to be clean.